Tuesday, March 20, 2007

What the Eff?

Alrighty: this one has been slowly smoldering my tailpipe for a while now and sparked white heat this evening. I was already heading home late because I was stuck at work for a spell, so I was in a bit of a rush to begin with. Cut to me trying to negotiate the long, narrow flight of stairs that exits the Bedford Avenue L-train stop.

The long line started slowing and I was craning trying to see the culprit. Jesus-tap dancing-Christ, is that what I think it is? Yep, some clueless idiot savant, minus the savant portion, was trying to read a book while navigating the stairs and was holding everyone up.

What is the deal with people who try to read while walking? Don't get me wrong, I love to read as much as anyone--hell, it's one of the few ways I like to relax that is actually healthful. And speaking of healthful, I also walk a lot--an average of more than an hour of powerwalking every day. But why the need to read and walk simultaneously?

Honestly, it baffles the hell out of me to the point that whenever I see someone doing it, my brain cells burst in fireworks of anger. For some reason, the neighborhood I live in--Dipshitburgh--is just crawling with people who don't have enough sense to walk to wherever they're headed and then take the few minutes saved by not reading while walking and then dig into that piece of must-read literature.

I know that it is only hurting myself by getting upset at these soft-brained pieces of dogturd, but I can't help it. It pisses me off... That is all.

1 comment:

dustin said...

Reading and walking? Wow, that's a new one. I heard some losers in the state government want to make it illegal to walk around with headphones on. Maybe they should tackle this one first.